Desirable qualities in applicants
· Interest in science and research
· Ability and capacity to understand, solve, and apply the different mathematical models
· Vocation of service for the comprehensive solution to society’s problems
· Ability to be part of interdisciplinary working teams to face the challenges demanded by the scientific and industrial society
Information addressed to Bachelor of Computational Sciences applicants.
By: Felipe de Jesus Rodriguez Garcia.
To speak about computers it is necessary to mention those that were equipped with bulbs. Later, computers had transistors. Finally, they appeared as they are today, with high density integrated circuits which process information at very high speeds.
Computer as a tool for society
From a practical point of view a computer is a tool that processes information in the shape of 0’s and 1’s to get a specific result. This process or manipulation is carried out by following an algorithm or sequence of instructions named software component or program.
The use of computers is not intended to be fashionable or trendy. It must help us solve problems, take competitive advantage, or innovate in order to provide a better service to the customer and seek a greater understanding of it, among other uses.
Is computer science a component of my professional career?
One of the ways to find out is by answering in the affirmative each of the following questions:
· Would you like to comprehend Mathematics?
· Do you usually use abstraction in order to solve a problem?
· Do you like to analyze and synthesize?
· Do you think following instructions literally makes any sense?
· Do you like to produce detailed and precise instructions so other people follow them?
· Would you enjoy working in teams where everyone shares something concrete and visible and at the same time everyone understands the final goal?
Any job in life is better if it satisfies and fulfills each individual with pride. One of the “symptoms” that tells us we chose the right job is when we enjoy what we do and in addition we get paid for it.
The Computational Sciences' student can select from four concentrations or specialization areas:
1. Software Engineering
Software Engineering is the study and application of principles, techniques, and methodologies for the Administration, Analysis, Design, Development, and Maintenance of software systems.
Software engineering changes the world’s culture because of the widespread use of computers. It could be considered as engineering applied to software by automate means and pre-established tools. The application of such systems should be in the most efficient way possible in order to get optimal results, not only to solve problems, but also taking into account the different options and selecting the most appropriate.
One Software Engineering goal is to find predictable and repeatable processes and methodologies with the purpose of improving productivity in the development and quality of the product.
Software Engineering helps to develop software components with the following characteristics:
· High Quality: produce components without failures after being released; § without errors, free of required modifications due to lack of understanding or design deficiencies. Produce components with the following characteristics: simple, readable, easy to modify and evolve.
· Low Cost: software projects fulfill the initial time, cost, human resource, technology, and material budget.
· GOOD PERFORMANCE: the current trend in the microprocessors is to have a Multi- Core support, this advantage gives any developer a computing capacity that must be exploited.
· NEW TECHNOLOGIES: many of the systems with great economic impact used by the majority of the people are boosted by an embedded system like Cell Phones, PDAs, Controllers in Security Equipment, Automotive entertainment, etc. It’s very important that the software developer knows and can develop applications for those systems.
Its goal is based on the computer networks interconnection and communication devices where it is possible to share resources and information with the most possible efficiency keeping the privacy and security in such electronic data interchange.
The function of communication networks involves the following factors:
· RESOURCES: Self- sufficient resources (nodes), usually computers, printers, storage units controlled by a dedicated processor, telephones, cell phones, PDAs, etc.
· MEANS: One or more communication means (wired or wireless technology) to transmit voice, data, and video information through the network nodes along with the necessary equipment to manage the intercommunication.
· SOFTWARE: Special software to intercommunicate and control several nodes under a certain configuration with the purpose of generating safe informatics in the communication networks. This way, links to all hardware and software resources are established.
The necessity to transmit voice, data, audio and video signals through different means makes it possible for students of this concentration to create an innovative and cutting- edge alternative in the communication systems according to labor requirements in corporations, since student learn skills that meets current international standards on this field.
There is a broad consensus that Nanotechnology will lead to a second industrial revolution in the 21st Century. The bachelor of Computational Sciences promotes the development of new computer applications that support scientists on the Nano-sciences field by using much faster components or molecular sensors able to detect carcinogenic cells among other more applications.
This is a new area where students will closely collaborate with professionals from other disciplines like Physics or Chemistry, and it’s ranked among the fifth majors with better future in the world. If you like technological innovation and have dreamed about developing applications to help humanity progress and, at the same time, show your vision, innovation, and creativity in technology, this concentration is for you.
Molecular Medicine and Biotechnology represent two essential scientific and technological areas in development and technological innovation. Development in both areas is strongly related and it’s expected to potentiate an indispensable tool for its development: Bioinformatics.
Students in Computational Sciences who choose this concentration will be competent in tools that gain a scientific and industrial position such as Pearl, which are widely used in Biotechnology. Similarly, students will be immersed in Genomic topics and available data bases in order to enter into Comparative Genomics with the purpose to help scientists in the Biology, Chemistry, or Medical fields by creating new applications.
Unquestionably, this area is also categorized among the top five in projection, future, and income in the world. If you like to collaborate in humanity’s future by supporting biologists’ scientific research related to human, plant, or animal genome, or other disciplines in fields of application like pharmaceutical products, human health diagnosis, new food and beverages, or improvements to new environment with the use of technology, the concentration in biotechnology is just for you.
Having chosen a bachelor of Computational Sciences, I state that it’s a very noble profession but at the same time demanding, because it requires a great commitment, vocation, and hard work.